Welcome!

This blog is to help students prepare for their English and English Literature GCSEs. The tags on the right will help you find what you are looking for.

Tuesday 10 November 2009

Death of a Salesman Quotations

Important Quotations
Find each of these quotations. Who says them? To whom? What is the significance of these quotations within the play as a whole?

… he thinks I’m nothing, see, and so he spites me. But the funeral … Ben, that funeral will be massive.

A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory.

A small man can be just as exhausted as a great man.

Be liked and you will never want.

Gee, look at the moon moving between the buildings.

He had the wrong dreams. All, all wrong.

He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine.

I can see it like a diamond, shining in the dark, hard and rough, that I can pick up and touch in my hand. Not like – like an appointment.

I know you laugh at me behind my back.

I never got anywhere because you blew me so full of hot air I could never stand taking orders from anybody!

I realised what a ridiculous lie my whole life has been.

I still feel kinda temporary about myself.

I thank Almighty God that you’re both built like Adonises. Because the man who creates an appearance in the business world is the man who gets ahead.

I’m a dime a dozen, and so are you.

I’m not a leader of men, Willy, and neither are you.

I’m not interested in stories about the past or any crap of that kind because the woods are burning, boys, you understand? There’s a big blaze going on all around. I was fired today.

I’ve got to get some seeds, right away. Nothing’s planted. I don’t have a thing in the ground.

In those days there was personality in it, … There was respect, and comradeship, and gratitude in it.

It’s Brooklyn, I know, but we hunt too.

Nothing’ll grow any more.

The gist of it is that I haven’t got a story left in my head.

The only thing you got in this world is what you can sell.

They time them so when you finally paid for them, they’re used up.

Why must everybody conquer the world?

Will you take that phoney dream and burn it before something happens?

Willy Loman did not die in vain. He had a good dream. It’s the only dream you can have – to come out number-one man.

Willy, dear, what has he got against you?

You can’t eat the orange and throw the peel away – a man is not a piece of fruit.

You fake! You phoney little fake! You fake!

No comments:

Post a Comment